Skip to main content

[Dept Meeting (2 Nov 2020)] Reflections

What have I done well this year in Teaching and Learning?

Despite the challenges presented by COVID-19, I was able to help students bridge their learning gaps (I feel). One good thing that came out of FHBL is that I was forced to move many things online.


1. I became better in marking work submitted in soft copy (via Whatsapp or online modes).
  • It also prompted me to be more active in scanning students' work for learning artefacts' showcase.
  • Instead of waiting for me to articulate their learning, they could easily access the class drive for samples of their peers' work.
  • In order to bridge learning gaps, I make use of varied levels of work to clarify with them what teachers look out for in order for them to reach the higher levels, for example.


2. Besides more varied assessments to check for learning, the learning checklists allowed individuals to easily tick off and check their understanding in a more tangible manner.


3. The use of conceptual teaching and continued sharing of news articles to highlight the relevance of topics and geographical content learnt enabled metacognition in students.

  • I have more students responding to my initial post of a piece of news, e.g. Excess eggs imported spoiled and became food wastage, the implications of COVID-19 on tourism in Singapore, etc.
  • Based on their responses, I see them using geographical concepts of space and time to articulate the possible impacts, and to outline how the effects may vary due to other social and environmental factors.
  • These newfound 'enlightenment' enabled them to give more mature and balanced views in subsequent discussions, and also encourage the fast progressive learners to extend their thinking for a more in-depth understanding and/or discussion.


Activity 1 - What I hope to take away from today's meeting?

I hope to be able to continue the synergy and momentum within the department, as we continue to learn from one another through the integration of good practices.

There will be a heightened need for differentiated instruction with the implementation of PDLP. Teachers must be ready to cater to learners learning at different pace, and our lesson designs must be able to allow room for such varied pace.

Having said that, bridging the learning to assessment outcomes must continue to be present, in order to continue fairness, validity and reliability in testing.

I hope that slow progressive learners will continue to feel enough small successes in order to enable them to learn. 


Activity 4 - How would this impact my future designs? 

The short exercise reminded me of the importance of teachers' clarity on the learning outcomes, as well as the understanding of class/student profiles.
Where possible, scaffolds and guiding questions ought to be included as a support for weaker learners who may need more specific/clearer directions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ExCEL Fest Live: Empowering Students in Geographical Investigation through Virtual Reality Technology (A Sharing by Theophilia Yong / Teck Whye Sec)

 Sharing a series of screengrabs from the presenter's sharing, just to give an idea of how the GI was constructed. CoSpaces allows students to upload 360 environment photos and then drag and drop characters/elements to create 'scenes'. Presenter's suggestion to adapt CoSpaces project into assessment rubrics What have I learnt from this sharing session? The greatest takeaway from the sharing is the introduction of the apps Google Tour Creator and CoSpaces EDU .  Google Tour Creator  allows the students to create their own 360 photos (though presenter did warn that stable and patient camera skills are paramount to getting a good 360 view), while  CoSpaces EDU  allows the kids to upload 360 photos to create their own virtual 'scenes', before making use of their creativity to modify these scenes using character/item templates and annotations of their own.  The use of these 2 apps definitely provides a valuable opportunity for students to enliven their presenta...

ExCEL Fest Keynote Address: Educating The Whole Child: Why All Learning Is Social And Emotional To The Brain by Professor Mary Helen Immordino-Yang

Source: https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/features/how-to-make-learning-relevant/ Emotions may be automatic responses to situations, but we need to "learn how to feel". Strangely enough, I can actually connect to the analogy she gave when she shared on how her daughter had written a song for her brother, putting together her drawing, writing and song-writing skills to present this gift to her brother, because of her love for her brother. I see the same thing happening at home. - My child K1 is fascinated with marine creatures and marine biology nowadays having watched Octonauts on Netflix. He was able to use his love for the cartoon to extend reading and information search on his own to find out more about marine creatures he learnt about from the show (thanks to the Google Home mini in the living room). - He was also able to combine his love for drawing and his love for the cartoon to transform them into 'character hats'. He basically used his free play time a...

[Dept Meeting (28 Dec 2020)] Reflections

What were the main things I learned today, and how will these be useful to my work in 2021?  Today, we revisited the Pedagogical Scaffold 2.0 and spent some time to discuss about designing different LEs for a similar content area. Click here for details of each Learning Experiences on the PDLP website. To me, this process is no much different from our traditional roles as classroom teachers. Why do I say so? We are still planning for students' learning in a mindful way, from outlining the learning outcomes, to designing the activities suitable in scaffolding the students' learning. Akin to teachers with varied teaching styles, those of us who have tried designing LEs tend to have our preferred LEs (e.g. my preferred is Acquisition , because it is the most predictable way for me to organise my lesson stimuli and lead the students towards the intended lesson objectives). For 2021, I would definitely want to go beyond my comfort zone and opt for Inquiry  and Discussion  LEs...